Paper Rose Studo: Mermiad Magic

For this adorable card I really didn't have a plan at first, the only thing I knew was I wanted to used the cute Mermaid magic set. 

I started out just stamping all the elements from the set out on to bristol card stock using my versa fine black onyx ink. I wanted something water proof as I was away and only had my clean color markers with me to colour with. Still one of my favorite mediums to use, as they just make coloring and adding shading so easy.

I pulled out two or three shades of green and red to color in the little cutie. For her hair I used Deep red, Carmine red and Wine red. For the mermaids tail I used deep green and may green. I always started with the darkest and went into the lightest, occasionally using the water brush to blend out the colours.  I finished all my colouring and set that aside. 

I set the coloring aside and started to play around with ideas for the rest of the card. I noticed my mom had some alcohol inks so I thought why not lets see what I come up with. 

I only had Aqaumarine to play with a straw,  some rubbing alcohol and yupo paper.  I started by spritzing the yupo with the rubbing alcohol and then adding the color, blowing it around with straw and then going back in and repeating the process till I was happy. I also unscrewed the cap of the alcohol ink bottle and used the inside to flick on the alcohol, this created the bubble effect which I really loved. 

I set that aside to dry and started to create the card base and die cutting. 

The base itself measures a bit bigger then the usual cards I make, its 6 3/8  x 5 ½ and the blue matt layer measures 5 7/8 x slightly bigger then 5 inch. 

I embossed the blue matt using one of my moms embossing folders, I really liked it because it really gave the look of scales of a mermaid or fish.  I then spritzed it with shimmer mist and set it aside to dry. I went onto do all the die cutting, I used some mirror cardstock in brown, pink, green and die cut the under the sea border about four times which allowed me to create the coral and ocean bed.  I did a little fussy cutting and layering to get the look I had in my mind. 

I decided to then fussy cut out the mermaid, fish, crab and star fish as I really did not want to have a little white boarder, but you don't have worry as they have the coordinating die, which will make the process a lot faster. I used a black marker and went around the edges of the images to cover up any of the white paper peeking through (and mask my horrible fussy cutting lol) 

Now it was time to pull this card together. I added some silver foil to the inked background – only to areas where the ink pooled.  Once I had it where I liked it, I ran it through the big shot using the Victorian lace oval die set.

 This set has three parts to it which gives you a lot of use. I used the frame and the plain oval die, which layers ends up cutting a little tiny frame also, which you can see I used for the inside panel of the card.

 I die cut the lace portion three or four times (sorry cant remember) using heavy white cardstock as I wanted to layer the inked die cut on top to add dimension. Note to self ALWAYS use Stick-it adhesive for this- was a bit frustrating trying to glue it together but really like the impact it made.

I adhered all the layers onto the card base popping up some elements and leaving other flat.  I  added the sentiment from the Mermaid Magie stamp set.  I did the same to the inside of the card except everything was adhered flat. 

I hope you found some inspiration. I would love to hear your feed back, please do leave a comment below. 

Have a wonderful weekend. 

Nancy

 

Write a comment

Note: HTML is not translated!